Can I feel
your pain? Can I feel
your pain? Let’s talk
about that. (cheery music) Good Mythical
morning! Life is full
of pleasure… …and pain.
So in this
episode, today we’re going
to have the pleasure of playing a game
with Robert Kirkman, the creator of
“The Walking Dead.” And as far as
pain is concerned, do you know
there are people
out there who can physically feel
someone else’s pain? – Are either of us
one of those people?
– Hmm. Can we feel each
other’s pain? There’s
only one way to find out. It’s time for… ♪ ♪ (screaming) Yes, there is a rare
condition called Mirror Touch
Synesthesia. People who have this
are able to feel their
body being touched just by seeing
someone else being touched.
Yes, this is a real thing. Basically, their visual
and tactile senses get
mixed up. There was this one study
where they tested over
2,300 people by showing them videos
of actors being touched on different parts
of their hand, and 45 of those people
felt the sensation in the exact same
place on their hand. That’s not a lot of people.
That’s just two in 100, so two percent of
the population has this. – Do we?
– Maybe. This condition is
not limited to touch. Some people can
experience pain – Mm-hmm.
– when seeing someone
else in pain, and it’s usually
developed from birth. So, Rhett and I,
we’ve basically known
each other since birth. – Yeah.
– As long as we’ve
been living, first grade is not
that much different, so, in some ways,
conducting our version
of this test makes it the
ultimate friend test. Can I feel Rhett’s pain?
Can he feel mine? If so, does that
make one of us
the better friend? Let’s find out.
To the Pain Zone! Okay, Rhett, emerge from
the Pain Hole. – ( groaning )
– He’s crowning. ( crying ) – Hi.
– It’s a bearded boy. – ( laughter )
– It’s nice in here. I don’t want
to leave. Actually, it’s nice now,
but it won’t be for long. – Uh-uh.
– Okay, people with
Mirror Touch Synesthesia are actually activated
by seeing something happen to another person, but because
we know each other so well, we’re gonna up the ante.
We’re only gonna look
at our faces. Okay, Rhett
is going first, and Chase is gonna be
behind the Pain Wall inflicting pain
on a specific part
of his body. Now I’m gonna be
watching only his face react to the pain
and then I’ll say where I felt
the sensation to see if it
matches up. If it does,
I get a point. At the end
of this whole thing, this very
scientific study, we’ll know who is
the better friend, by who has the most points.
You ready to get started? No, but I’ll do it. Okay, Chase,
bring the pain. All right… – Make eye contact with you.
– Okay. Yeah. ( groans softly ) Was that the pain? ( groaning ) – What?
– You don’t understand – what’s happening.
– ( laughter ) No– – ( trap snaps )
– ( screams ) – ( Link laughs )
– ( snarls ) – That was the pain.
– Yes! Agh! – There’s a lot of
build-up to that pain.
– Whoo, buddy! – Um–
– The Pain Hole’s
not nice! ( laughter ) I don’t like
the Pain Hole! – Whose idea was this?
– ( laughter ) Now I was– the first
sensation I was
feeling was– – Sympathy?
– Pleasure… – What?
– …in my brain. – You’re not a good
– ( laughs ) Uh…honestly, I didn’t
feel a whole lot of pain. I just felt– I was very
happy through the whole thing. – I’m a little confused
– That’s not nice. there was a little
tweak in my lower back. So I just feel a little
lower back tension. Well, my back is
hurting from being
in this posture, – which is interesting.
– Link: Oh. But that is not
where the pain came from. – Where was the pain?
– I feel like– the pain was on my left
index finger. I think I know
what it was, but Chase, please confirm.
Come out and show me what
you just did to me. It sounded like
you shot– ooh! – Seriously?
– Yeah, it was a
freakin’ mouse trap. – We’re starting with
a mouse trap?
– ( laughter ) – Where is this going?
– I feel like I should
give you a half point – because my lower back is
a little pained.
– Yes! But it’s gonna be
every round, – so you can’t just say
“lower back” every round.
– Half a point this round. I’ll give you a half
a point, “friend.” Welcome to the
Pain Hole, Link. Not feeling great
about this. Chase, whenever you’re
ready, do your worst. ( laughter ) ( screams )
Ow! ( calmly )
That was it. I’m not– I’m totally not
making this up, I feel something
in my right foot. What do you feel? Like a– sort of like
a heaviness. Like my right foot
got heavier when I looked at your– did your foot
get heavy? A little bit more
of my weight was on
my right foot, but it was my right forearm
that had pain. – Ah, right forearm.
– What– what was it? It’s like rippin’ out the hair
off my freakin’ forearm! – You waxed me.
– Wax on, wax off. You know what?
You can clone me
with that. – ( laughter)
– No points. Are you smiling
or is that a
pea-pain– Pee pain. ( laughs )
Pre-pain grimace. I hope it’s not
a pee pain. – Please don’t do that.
– ( laughs ) Please.
Whatever you do. You just gave him ideas. All right, give him pain.
Look at me. I really wanna
get it this time. Mm-hmm. ( vocalizing )
No. “Eee-ahh no?” – ( laughter)
– ( grunts ) ( softly )
Yeah, huh. I’m– my right forearm
is hurting, but it’s
where I was waxed. ( chuckles ) I’m– I felt, like,
a tightening in
my belly. ( laughs )
Oh, really? Yeah, like,
just something like– didn’t hurt that bad
but it was– – It didn’t hurt
at all, really.
– Mm-hmm. – But it was
a tightening, so…
– Yeah, yeah, yeah. I’m saying, the belly. I switched to plant-based
protein this morning. – ( laughter)
– In my shake. – Maybe that’s what
– A little rumbly? Um…it’s not–
it wasn’t that. It’s my right foot,
believe it or not! – Link: Oh, it wa–
– My right foot was stuck
in a bucket of ice. – Ooh!
– Unless I don’t know
what ice feels like. – Where is it?
Yes, that’s it.
– Yeah, your right foot – was in a bucket of ice.
– There it is right there. – It’s a bowl of ice.
– No points. This is so freaking
nerve wracking. I don’t know where
the pain is gonna hit. I don’t either.
( chuckles ) – I wish I did.
– Link: Just– just
connect with me. Rhett:
Can I get closer? Connect with me. ♪ ♪ Oh, what? Ah! Oh, no, no!
No, no, no! That’s enough! That’s e-freakin-nough! ( laughter ) – Are you done with it?
– Yes, they’re done. Gah. – What…
– ( laughter ) …was that? – Golly.
– Uh… I hope this is making me
a better person somehow. Uh… – Left thigh?
– ( Link laughs ) Is that something
I ate? There’s a numbness
in my left thigh. – Maybe I should just
go to the doctor.
– ( laughs ) – Like, right in here.
Oh, I have lint.
– Okay. – That’s what it is.
– ( laughs ) But I’m gonna go
with left thigh. No, it was my belly! – ( shocked ) Oh, really?
– I premonitioned my own thing – from before.
– We keep thinking– Hold on. That’s a total
different thing. He freaking carpet–
Alex was in on this? – ( laughs )
– You freaking
carpet burned– – Oh, like this?
– Yeah. Oh! Can’t wait
to watch that back. What the–
what the heck? ( laughter ) – Oh, wow.
– It’s red, man. Yeah. – Hope this gets views.
– ( laughs ) That’s our only hope.
Okay… Give him the pain! Look at me. – ( whip cracks )
– Link: Whoa. – Ooh! Dang.
– No! No! ( laughter ) ( screaming )
Agh! ( screaming )
Eeh! Squealing like a pig? – ( laughter)
– ( whimpering ) ( making random
animal noises ) You know what?
I’m not getting
a strong signal. – Can we hit it again?
– No! No, no, no, no, no! ( singing )
No, no, no, no, no, no. ( sighs ) Where did I feel it? – Are you all right?
– No. Frickin’ got
whipped, man. ( laughter ) ( sighing ) Your eyes are watering.
You crying? ( high pitched )
Lil-little bit. ( laughs )
He’s crying. – Yeah, I haven’t cried
in a while.
– Um… Man, I just know
by the– by the–
whip. It can’t be on
the front. I shouldn’t approach
this logically. – Yeah, yeah, yeah.
– I should channel
what I felt – in the moment.
– Just feel it. Still stinging
a little bit. I feel like
it was low. Like, I feel–
like, my left calf. Like the back
of the leg. Right in there.
Just a little tickle. Just a little
whippy-whip, – on the back left calf.
– Really? – Yeah.
– It was my booty. – Oh. It was your booty?
– It was my booty. – What the crap
was that thing?
– Let me see this whip. Who– who do we have
that’s a whip– a whip master? – Oh, yeah.
– ( laughter ) – Who– who are you?
– Anthony De Longis. I’m not shaking
your hand, Anthony.
( laughs ) – Anthony–
– Well, we already kinda met. – ( blows whip end )
– ( laughs ) You whipped him with
that on the heinie? I did, I did. – Yeah, I felt it.
– Showbiz. – ( laughs )
– You guys gonna
hang out later? ( stammering )
I think maybe. Now that I’m–
now that I’ve gotten
close to him. – That’s how my wife
and I met.
– ( laughter ) Okay, Link. – Rhett: Last round.
– ( electric crackle ) ( laughter ) I have no points! ( whimpering, laughing )
I don’t care if you get points. – ( sighs )
– Right now, you’re
the better friend unless I can sense… where you’re having
your pain. Bring it! ( zapping ) Ow! – ( screaming )
– ( laughing ) Okay! All right! Okay. All right.
That got you. – Yeah.
– Are we sure it got him? I’m pretty sure
that’s our old friend… the Stun Cane. But where? – Man.
– Whoo. – You’re breathing heavy.
– I’m awake now. They didn’t get you
right here, did they? The only place I’m feeling
anything is kinda, like– – Your wiener?
– ( snorts ) – ( laughter )
– Besides the wiener… – ( zapping )
– You know how much I like getting shocked
in the wiener. I just feel something
in the lower body, but I–
it’s just left– Did I say right thigh?
Maybe something’s wrong
with my left thigh. Because now I’m feeling
it again in the back– the left hamstring. – Is that your guess?
– Yes. You’re very close.
It was my left calf! I “premonished”
it again! It was my friggin’
left calf. I’ll give you
half a point. – Half a point? ‘Cause
I was the right–
– Bring it! Bring out the cane! – Oh gosh!
– ( laughter ) Oh, I wonder
who this is. Reveal yourself,
knight. – ( laughs )
– Ah! You! – I thought it was over!
– She got you again! – It ain’t over, Jen.
– It’s never over. – It ain’t over.
– Look at those
frickin’ boots! Yeah, I rolled my ankle
twice back there. Oh, poor Jen.
She rolled her
ankle, everybody. Okay, so I think
the conclusion is, neither one of us
are very good friends, at least when it
comes to feeling
each other’s pain. We each combined
for one point.
( chuckles ) But I’ll never forget
what we went through together. And I will never forget
what you’ve done to me. – Never.
– The list grows! Stick around and watch
us make whipped cream with our new friend,
The Bull Whipper. ( laughs )
What? Rhett:A good friend
always has an extra hoodiewhen you forget yours.
Get a GMM hoodiefrom mythical.store
and be a good friend.( sound slowed )